Sara's Travel Blog is a way for me to share all the things I have done and learned about while I was over here in Serbia/Europe, so sit back, pour yourself a glass, and ENJOY!
*A little side note: if you are just starting to read this, start from the bottom blogs (the older blogs) and work your way to the top, so you can get the true sense of my trip!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Sledding

Today was supposed to be a really fun day with a walk up the mountain, I was going to take pictures and then we were going to go sledding, but that was just the morning...the afternoon was a WHOLE different story!

I have not been sledding in a long time, so I was really excited about it! We all got dressed and I got my camera so I could take pictures of the mountains! They are so pretty here in Kolasin (Ko-losh-in).

Jagos was pointing to the mountains for us! ;)


Jan, all three kids plus Mina, Mihailo's friend from next door, and I went up sledding while Jagos was an observer/photographer! We had a blast! We were sledding on like a magic carpet sled with a handle in front (they were made for little kids, so it was a tight squeeze for me!) or "butt plates" I like to call them, and we were also using what is called a "snow tiger," it is a higher sled, that has runners or skis on the sides to help you go faster and over the rough terrain! haha We went up one hill and it was not very big, but there were rocks and the snow was powdery, so we could feel just about everything. 

We then traveled up the mountain to bigger hills and 
got some fun photos of us sledding and having a great time. :) 

On our way back down, Alek and Jagos had gone down to the house cause Alek was getting cold, and us girls along with Mihailo were left. We were on our last run, I got on the higher sled, and on my way down, I hit a bump! My feet were on the runners, but when I hit the bump my right foot turned in and my body went over, but my foot stayed right there. I heard a pop, but I had heard that many times with spraining my ankle in basketball, so I just thought I had sprained really bad at first. So Marija and Mina went to get Jagos to see if he could come and get me in the Jeep cause there was a road close by. This was the funny part (looking back...of course it wasn't funny at the time!) Jan was pulling me, while 2 five year olds were pushing me with all their might from behind! It must have been quite a sight!
All of us kids!! ;)
Jan going down the hill!

Alek coming down the mountain!

I slid along side my sled instead on on it!

Just a few minutes before I broke my leg.

When I got to the house, I took off my boot to see the damage and noticed that my foot was clicking when I lifted it up and down, I was moving it because it didn't hurt that bad, also I could move my toes and all it just was really painful when I put it in certain positions. We all thought it was dislocated because of they way it was kinda handing. So I went to the first hospital and they didn't have an x-ray machine, so I had to go 1 hour away to another hospital. I got to send a lot of quality time with my uncle Jagos! He was even nice enough to take a picture of me at the hospital while I was sitting there waiting for all the pain, because he told me if it is dislocated it is going to hurt like hell!! He got to wheel me around the hospital and pretend to drive me into walls! haha Although it was not fun breaking my leg...I had a good time with the family!
The second hospital I had to visit that night... Jagos was keeping my spirits up!
Once the Doctors got the x-ray back they said it was broken (in Serbian) and when Jagos translated for me, I thought he was joking (he likes to joke a lot) because everyone thought for sure it was dislocated, but it was true. I had to put on a half cast until the swelling went down and then get a regular cast on. We had to make another 1 hour trip back to the hospital to get the half cast taken off and the new cast put on...so Jagos ended up driving the total of 20 hours with me to and from Kolasin and to and from the hospital....QUALITY TIME! hahaha

This is a picture off the internet, but it looks just like mine does.
I broke my right fibula bone at an angle right at my ankle joint!

AFTER SLEDDING...RELAXING WITH MIHAILO BACK IN THE MOUNTAIN COTTAGE IN KOLASIN. HE WAS TEACHING ME HOW TO PLAY HIS DS! 
 AND THIS IS HOW I TRAVELED ALL THE WAY BACK TO BELGRADE...IT WAS AN 8 HOUR RIDE!
CAN YOU SAY SORE BUTT!!

1 comment:

  1. Your foot could be a handle for Aunt Jan when Uncle Jagos goes to fast around those corners. You know how he loves to go fast, we call him Jagos Andready, LOL

    ReplyDelete