Sara's Travel Blog is a way for me to share all the things I have done and learned about while I was over here in Serbia/Europe, so sit back, pour yourself a glass, and ENJOY!
*A little side note: if you are just starting to read this, start from the bottom blogs (the older blogs) and work your way to the top, so you can get the true sense of my trip!

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Slava

Slava is a Serbian celebration of the Husband's family's "Saint's Day." It is known as an annual celebration of a family's "Parton Saint's Feast Day;" Slava actually means "Christened Name" in Serbian. Each family has a Saint and the family celebrates their Slava on their Saint's day. Jagos' Saint is St. Mihailo and they celebrate it on November 21st every year. They have friends and family over and have a big feast just like we do for our Thanksgiving. I am not entirely sure why the Saint's day is a particular day meaning I am not sure if they were born on that day or they became a Saint on a that particular day, but I will get back to you on that. This year because there were so many people, Jan and Jagos split their Slava into two days Saturday and Sunday. Jagos' family and a few friends came the day before Slava on November 20th and then more friends came on the actual Slava Day, which is November 21st.



Saturday, November 20th, 2011
This morning, Jan, Jagos, the kids, and I were preparing foods and getting the tables all set up for the Slava. In these next few pictures you will see us making Red Pepper Roll or Rolat (in Serbian) it is made with red peppers that are baked, and then dipped in eggs and flour and then fried, once they cooled we make a layered roll with the fried peppers, cheese, and ham and then repeat until it is about 4 inches high then top it off with cheese, hard-boiled eggs, paprika, and parsley. We put it in the fridge and then sliced it for all to enjoy. It was really good!



The meats are called persuta (per-shut-ah), which is different kinds of dried meats. The orange stuff in the bowls are ajvar (i-var), which is boiled red peppers mixed with oil. It is great! The rectangular plate was the Red Pepper Rolat and the white bowl is what I call Serbian Salad or Ruska Salata (Russian Salad). 

Jagos and Alek already for Slava. We set up the living room and got all the appetizers out on the tables for when everyone arrived.


This is a huge process with TONS of food and drinks. Once the house was all set up, we then got all dressed up for dinner.

When people started showing up, Jan and Jagos had to meet them at the door to greet and kiss each person as they entered the door to the house and take their coats. People always bring flowers into the wife or mom of the family. The flowers that were brought were really pretty.


When I introduced myself I had to say "Ya sam Janice-sina Sistrachina," which is I am Janice's sister's daughter or niece. Everyone was really surprised when I said this because I don't speak Serbian. It was a really good dinner and I got to talk with a few people who spoke English. Jagos' friend Vladimir was really nice and was talking to me in English most of the night, so I didn't feel left out. It was a weird sensation having everyone around you talking in a different language and you don't know what they are saying. I now know what if feels like to be an exchange student or an English Language Learner. It is a little intimidating.

Sunday, November 21st, 2010
In the morning we relaxed all morning. It is tiring eating so much food! Haha We all got ready and ate Slava at Beba and Rale's house. Beba is Jagos' mom and Rale is Jagos' older brother. At their house, the kids split the Holy bread, which is a round bread that has different kinds of biscuits in it. The kids have to break it and try to find the coins that are rapped in aluminum foil and cooked in the bread. If they find the coin it is supposed to bring them good luck. Once done with the Slava at Rale and Beba's house, we then came back to Jan and Jagos' house to have another Slava with Malina, Rob, Duda, Vicky, and Bane. During dinner we had what was called Sarma, which is a vinegar cabbage wrap with meat and rice on the inside. It is really good, but we had a lot of leftovers and after eating it for a few days, it is not as good! ;)

I really enjoyed my first Slava experience, but I think I gained all my weight back! haha Thanks Jan and Jagos for a wonderful time.

No comments:

Post a Comment